Dry Ice Safety
Dry Ice Safety:
Please read our Dry Ice Safety tips and important information to ensure a more enjoyable experience
Immediate Ice wants you to get maximum enjoyment from every product you buy from us. We’ve put together a little fact sheet to tell you about the best ways to deal with dry ice safety.
Right off the bat: NEVER ALLOW CHILDREN TO HANDLE THIS PRODUCT, AND NEVER INGEST IT. Dry ice is made from solid carbon dioxide and wants to suck oxygen from the environment.
You can’t store dry ice for any significant periods of time.
At -80 degrees, there isn’t a domestic freezer that would stop dry ice from sublimating (thawing). Your order will need to be collected within 24 hours of intended use.
Do not keep in a glass, sealed, or airtight container.
If you do, it could become over-pressurised and explode or rupture.
Never store in a confined area.
Dry ice is actually solid carbon dioxide. The vapour can be hazardous and cause (in extreme cases) suffocation. You should always place it in an environment that has excellent ventilation.
Always place on a sheet of plywood or wood cutting board.
Dry ice can displace glues and bonding agents used in laminated and tiled surfaces.
Do not store in basements or at ground level.
This will reduce the chances of respiratory problems because it doesn’t have the chance to deplete the oxygen from the air.
Place your dry ice in an insulated, polystyrene container – don’t worry, we sell these – or a hard-shell cooler box (the type you use for picnics) with a lid and additional padding is ideal.
Along with the dry ice, place additional newspaper padding or foam blocks to ‘suffocate’ the ice. This will stop it from evaporating. Note: you are still likely to lose 50% of its mass within 24 hours.
Never touch with your bare hands or uncovered skin, and always wear goggles.
When handling, you will need insulated gloves – the type used for skiing are ideal. Leather gloves are okay too. Otherwise you’ll experience a burning sensation known as frostbite.
Also, be sure to have your arms and legs covered, and use tongs if you’re handling small quantities such as pellets for misty sticks.
Never put dry ice near your mouth.
If ingested, seek immediate medical attention.
Never put dry ice in drinks.
Ingestion can cause severe internal injuries.
Never saw, chip, hammer or break dry ice.
The particles from such activity can cause harm.
We’ll tell you this again when you collect your order: always put the dry ice in the boot of your car.
And always drive with your windows open. Good ventilation is key. Never put it in the glove compartment or seating area of your car. Never leave in a parked vehicle, unless it’s specially equipped to do so.
CONTACT WITH FOOD
Never place in direct contact with foods considered ‘perishable’.
This also applies to canned and bottled drinks.
Problems ranging from freezer-burn to explosions could occur.
DO NOT DISPOSE OF DRY ICE IN SEWERS, SINKS, OR TOILETS. The extreme cold will harm sink disposal, toilet parts and pipes.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUMP UNUSED DRY ICE. Allow the dry ice to sublimate or evaporate to the atmosphere in a well-ventilated area where no build-up of carbon dioxide vapour can occur.
DO NOT DISPOSE OF DRY ICE IN RUBBISH BINS OR CHUTES.
DO NOT DISPOSE OF DRY ICE IN AREAS ACCESSIBLE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC.
Do not pour dry ice down:
Sinks and basins
Drains and pipes
Do not dispose of dry ice in a public place.
To efficiently dispose of dry ice simply allow to evaporate in a well ventilated area.
If you have any questions about dry ice safety, don’t hesitate to call or use the contact form.
We also supply misty sticks – check out the ice accessories.